Friday, February 18, 2011

A Secret to My Happy Marriage

In a few weeks my husband and I will celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary.  This seems insane to me for a couple of reasons.
A) I don't feel old enough to be married so long
B) Weren't we married yesterday? Because I don't feel old enough to be married that long.

Clearly my disbelief hinges on my inability to accept my turning 35 this year.
Anyway...I have been thinking and trying to isolate little things that make us a good partnership and keep the happiness present year after year after year....

Today I realized a pretty big habit we have that creates marital harmony. My husband NEVER EVER EVER drives when we are together, I always drive.
Feeling a little...(maybe insane??) generous today, I didn't order him out of the driver seat when I came out of the grocery store after I dropped myself off and he took over the car in the parking lot.  I thought it would be nice to be a passenger for once and play on my phone or not worry about keeping us alive while driving a big dangerous machine around other big dangerous fast moving machines. (Because really, that is what cars are!)

He drove to the exit of the parking lot and since he didn't turn on the GPS he needed directions on where to go, I told him to turn right and then get into the far left lane in order to make a left hand turn at the light.

He turned right.
Got in the far left lane...
And then did a U-TURN around barrier (on a VERY BUSY ROAD!!!) and started driving the opposite way we needed to go.
I lost my sense of generosity and yelled to freaking pull the car over asked him to pull the car over because I was going to die of a heartattack and why did he do that?
He laughed.
I drove.
And will forever more.....because seriously, a good way to keep a marriage happy is to limit stress and things to argue over, and my husband, while a truly brilliant man- is a scary driver. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...